The Essential Karate Book
For White Belts, Black Belts and All Levels In Between [Companion Video Included]
Graeme Lund, Morne Swanepoel
The Essential Karate Book is an informative, illustrated guide to the techniques, philosophy and practice of karate.
With 20 chapters covering practically every aspect of karate, this in-depth reference will assist students and instructors as they plot their course through karate instruction, benefiting those at all levels. The Essential Karate Book contains 200 diagrams mapping out moves with 300 step-by-step photographs and companion videos, making it a comprehensive general karate reference for Western audiences.
Readers of this karate guide will learn about:
- Stances, blocks, strikes and kicks
- Preparing your body through warm-ups, stretching, and conditioning through karate-specific exercises
- Kata grading and fighting (kumite) techniques and competition rules
- Martial arts weapons (kobudo), and MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) applications
- The origins and history of karate
- Required behavior, clothing and etiquette, as well as the fundamentals of karate and the different styles that share them